Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Beauty and the Beast is hands down my favorite Disney fairytale - and Belle, my favorite princess!! For starters, she's not technically a princess, but an ordinary girl looking for something beyond 'this old provincial town'. She has spunk, and is confident enough to turn down Gaston, the village heart-throb. She dreams of Prince Charming, but finds beauty in the ordinary. Best of all, she loves books - seriously, this one's a winner, through and through!!

This much-loved fairy-tale - the original, as well as Disney's charming version - has stood the test of time. A handsome prince is cursed for his arrogance by a witch - condemned to live as a Beast until he finds someone that can love him, before the petals of an enchanted rose fall off. A village maiden stumbles upon his castle by accident, and in exchange for her father's live, agrees to be the Beast's prisoner. A few magical interludes later (Stockholm syndrome, ahem!), true love blossoms. And yet, the Beast lets the maiden return to her father - for isn't letting go the truest measure of love? Will the Beast be reunited with his true love?

We all know how it ends - and we still watch with bated breath as the story unfolds - and in Disney's newest version, the canvas is extravagantly opulent! The massive interiors of the castle, the elaborate costumes, the quaint little French village and oh, the library - the sets are magnificent!! The screenplay remains mostly faithful to the animation - the additions, in fact, are a bit awkward. While Belle slurping her soup to make the Beast feel at ease brought a smile to my face - the little jaunt to a Paris suburb, or Belle's design of a primitive washing machine?? I'm all for feminism, but feels a little forced here - and plague, well, there's just no place for plague in a fairytale!!

And the songs? Well, this is a musical, after all!! Starting with Belle's signature song "This old provincial town" - very picturesque, but did they really have to channel Sound of Music for this one? Close my eyes for a second, and I could almost hear "The Hills are Alive"!! The cutlery cabaret, "Be Our Guest" is a wonderful feast, and "Gaston" impresses with the quick-footed, dramatic choreography. The piece de resistance, is of course "Tale As Old As Time" - oh, how I love this song!! The new songs, unfortunately, I barely registered!!

Emma Watson - not to take away from her incredible performance - but I have to admit, I had a hard time looking past Hermione Granger. I mean, isn't she a little young - look at those freckles - to be in a grand passionate affair? And I was half expecting her to whip out her wand and reverse the curse - I think 'Beautify' will do the trick, don't you?!! I was also expecting the Beast to be a bit more beastly, you know?? With those blue eyes, and gentle face, I was just reminded of an overgrown cat - it was still Dan Stevens, just a little hairier than usual?? By the way what was with the highly publicized gay moment in the film? Yes, Gaston's sidekick, LeFou has been portrayed effeminately - but that's not what I noticed. What I noticed was that LeFou has a conscience, and is not afraid of standing up to his friend! Good for you, LeFou!!

I expect this movie will have a whole new generation of little girls falling in love with the feisty Belle. And for those of us who've always loved Belle, this movie does not disappoint!! So go watch it!! Oh, and don't forget to IMAX!!


No comments:

Post a Comment